FIN 550 Financial Planning & Risk Management
Course Catalog Description
This course will review the fundamental principles of financial planning, professional conduct, education
planning, risk management and regulation. The course is aligned with the principal knowledge topics
evaluated on the CFP® Certification Examination. The course introduces you to the financial planning
process and teaches you how to work with clients to set goals and assess risk tolerance. Learn how to
process and analyze information, construct personal financial statements, develop debt management
plans, recommend financing strategies, and understand the basic components of a written
comprehensive financial plan. The course also covers the regulatory environment, time value of money,
and economic concepts.
By the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts of financial planning from a theoretical and applied
- Understanding and apply the code of ethics and professional responsibility, rules of conduct, planning
standards and disciplinary rules (including related procedures) applicable to certified financial planning
along with the fiduciary standards to which planners must conform.
- Understand consumer financial laws that apply to financial planning products and processes
- Apply the basic concepts of time value of money, portfolio selection and optimization to problems
related to financial planning and risk management.
- Know the value and also the limits of financial planning and risk management at a personal level.
- Understand different insurance products that can be used to hedge the risk of financial plans
Michael Dalton, et al. Fundamentals of Financial Planning, 5th edition, Money Education, 2016. Available
in both print and e-book formats. ISBN 978-1-936602-41-4.
George Rejda and Michael McNamara. Principles of Risk Management and Insurance, 13th edition. This
text is available in both print and e-book versions. The latter ISBN-13: 978-0-13-408344-5 costs 1/4 the
price of the former.
||Assignments (4 Total)
||I. Fundamentals of Financial Planning What is
Financial Planning? /Review of the Industry/
Ethics Code / Fiduciary Rules
||Financial Planning Approaches
||Personal Financial Statement
||Time Value of Money
||Regulation and Consumer Laws /
||II. Risk Management and
Insurance Introduction to Risk, Insurers and
Marketing Systems/ Government Regulations
||Rejda, 1, 2, 5 & 8
||Legal Principles / Insurance Contracts
||Rejda, 9 &10
||Rejda,11, 12, 13
||Auto & Homeowners' Insurance
||Rejda, 20, 21, 22,